14 Days / 30 GB
4429 Days Retention
Free VPN Access
Credit Card, PayPal
Unlimited 12 Months
Unlimited 1 Month
Unlimited 12 Months
Unlimited 1 Month
Disclaimer – Prices may change frequently and despite our best efforts it is possible that some may be out of date. Please visit the provider’s official website for exact pricing.
Why It’s The Best Usenet Provider
Other reasons why we chose Newshosting as our top recommended Usenet service:
- Private Network — Newshosting owns and manages its own servers and infrastructure. This gives them the ability to control the quality of service being provided to their customers.
- Retention Growth — Newshosting provides the best Usenet retention in the industry. On top of that, they are one of the only providers that invests in expanding their server network to support ongoing binary and text retention growth. This is a very expensive process considering the amount of storage space needed to store the huge amount of data uploaded to Usenet every day. But Newshosting is dedicated to providing the highest retention for the best customer experience. Files never expire to make room for newly uploaded files. In comparison, other providers often have a hard cap on retention and delete files that expire after reaching the retention limit.
- Largest Network — Newshosting operates multiple server farms in both North America and Europe. Usenet providers often have servers located in either the US or Europe, but with Newshosting, you get both. There are also no server access limitations based on any Newshosting plans — users on any plan can connect to any server geographically for optimal connection speeds.
- Fastest Download Speeds — Newshosting started building its network over 20 years ago and has continued to grow and fine-tune it over that time with better servers and more efficient routing to provide the fastest speeds for its customers. Even during peak ISP (Internet Service Provider) hours with millions of users on your network who are streaming, web browsing, and gaming, you will generally get great speeds with Newshosting given the size, speed, and efficiency of its network.
- Free Add-Ons — Newshosting customers receive great features at no added cost, including a free Newsreader with built-in Usenet search. Privacy conscious customers also receive free SSL connections to encrypt their Usenet access and a free zero-log VPN (desktop software and mobile apps also included)
Retention is one of the most important factors in choosing a Usenet access provider. Retention is the amount of time (usually shown in days) that a Usenet provider stores files on its servers. Retention with various Usenet providers ranges from 100 days to over 10 years. What does that mean for Usenet customers? Retention determines the number of files you can access, and for how long you can access them. Higher retention means you have a bigger window of time to download files posted to Usenet.
Compared to most other Usenet providers, Newshosting offers the most retention by far. They currently provide over 11 years of retention across all binary and text groups. Newshosting doesn’t just have the best retention, but they also continue to grow their retention, which is rare because it’s a very expensive process. Growing retention means the archive of files on Newshosting’s servers grows every day. Customers thus have access to a growing database of Usenet articles.
Many providers who limit their retention do not give customers access to their advertised amount of retention. Unfortunately, it’s common for providers to cache articles on their servers. Caching is when a file posted to Usenet is stored only temporarily. If that file is not ‘pulled’ by enough users in a certain window of time, they delete the file to make room for other articles posted to Usenet. For example, let’s say you want to download something that you know was posted to Usenet last month. If your Usenet provider determined that not enough people accessed that file before you access it yourself, it gets deleted and you’re out of luck. With Newshosting, you never have to worry about that. With the highest retention in the industry, Newshosting customers find what they’re looking for more often.
In addition to retention, speed is fundamental to the quality of a Usenet service. You pay a lot of money for your Internet service, and you should expect to utilize all the bandwidth you are paying for when using your Usenet service. Here at Top10Usenet, we have access to some of the fastest Internet in the world with Google Fiber, and we put our Internet speeds to serious work with our testing. Given the speed of our ISP connection, we can confidently say that any Usenet speed issues or failures in our testing would be no fault of our own.
For our test, we purchased a Newshosting plan that provided 60 SSL-encrypted connections. Over a 5-day test period, we pulled articles posted both recently and many years ago during various times throughout the day and night. Our downloads clocked in consistently at very high speeds. We never experienced a dip in performance or any outages. Newshosting is at the top of the list in terms of download speed.
Privacy and Security
“Newshosting monitors our servers to the extent necessary to ensure that high standards of maintenance are met. Newshosting does not monitor or record your activities online. We do not monitor which newsgroups you post to or download from or what you put in news articles that you post.”
This is about as transparent as you can get with a privacy statement. Newshosting also provides 256-bit SSL secured downloading, which is pretty much an industry standard for encryption and common among Usenet providers. Where Newshosting really stands out, though, is providing a free Zero-Log VPN service for additional privacy. Newshosting’s Zero-Log VPN secures all web traffic like Usenet, email, and online streaming by assigning you an anonymous IP address from a different geographical location, as well as running all your traffic through an encrypted VPN server. Along with this, Newshosting’s Zero-Log VPN is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
If you decide to sign up for Newshosting, make sure you lock in our exclusive discount deal only available through Top10Usenet. With this unlimited plan, you’ll get the zero-log VPN included for free (regularly $4.99 a month).
One of the first things you normally do once you choose your Usenet provider is find a good newsreader. This is your user interface to search and find articles posted to newsgroups. In some cases, these newsreaders will cost you money…on top of the money you just spent on your Usenet access. But with Newshosting, all plans come with Newshosting’s free Newsreader, which is one of the best newsreaders available.
This newsreader includes many features we use daily like a built-in Usenet search engine and connection speed chart. It also lets you: preview your search results so you can validate a file before downloading it, bookmark newsgroups you like, manually browse text and binary articles, and import NZB files. The Newshosting newsreader also comes pre-configured with your account, meaning you don’t have to punch in server addresses or port numbers. The only thing you need to do is put in your Newshosting username and password and the newsreader will begin populating all the newsgroups.
Some features of the newsreader:
- Fast Usenet search
- Accurate search results that include file size, post date, and newsgroup posted to
- Search result previews
- Filter results by file type
- Bookmark your favorite newsgroups
Manually browse all text and binary newsgroups
- Search scheduler (schedule searches for specific queries with a size and post date range)
- NZB import functionality
- Daily and monthly traffic stats
- Connection speed chart
- It comes free with your account
All-in-all, this is an excellent newsreader with many versatile features.
- Unlimited downloads
- No speed limitations
- 30 connections
- 256-bit SSL encryption
- Access to all retention – currently 4079 days
- Access to all US and EU servers
- Free newsreader with search
- Free zero-log VPN
After thorough examination, Newshosting more than lives up to its reputation as the top Usenet provider. It delivers a premium experience at a competitive price and sets the standard for the industry. Newshosting’s Download speed and performance are exceptional, their dedication to privacy and security is admirable, and their retention is the best on the market.
If you’re new to Usenet, Newshosting is great place to start. If you’re a Usenet expert looking to make a switch, Newshosting offers everything you need as an unlimited Usenet provider. Newshosting delivers across the board and comes highly recommended for good reason.